The Murder of a Journalist- Gauri Lankesh- The brutal murder of journalist-
- Gauri Lankesh, was a critic of Hindu extremism. She was shot dead at her house in Bengaluru on Tuesday evening.
- The Karnataka Police is tracing the killers of the journalist.
- Gauri Lankesh was 55 years old Sr. Journalist of Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Her father was a famous poet-turned-journalist P Lankesh.
- She was the editor of Gauri Lankesh Patrike, writing often against Sangh organisations and communal violence in the country.
- “The three special teams set up to crack the case are on the lookout for the suspected assailants.
- The Deputy commissioner of police (West) M N Anucheth told IANS in Bengaluru that “We are taking the movements of people and vehicles at check posts and inter-state borders.”
- According to the police, at least three suspects were involved and Lankesh was found dead on her verandah around 8pm with bullet wounds to her head and chest. Television reports said seven bullets were fired at her and three hit her.
The List of Other Journalist who also Murdered:- Source-www.hindustantimes.com
- The 77-year-old outspoken rationalist was killed in a manner similar to Lankesh.
- He fell to the bullets of two unidentified men at his residence in Dharwad, Karnataka in September 2015.
- The incident sent shock waves across the Kannada literary world and elsewhere in Karnataka.
- Leftist leader and a prominent activist and rationalist, Govind Pansare was shot dead by two unidentified persons in February 2014 when he was returning home from his morning walk in Kolhapur.
- He died in Mumbai on February 20. Sanatan Sanstha activist Samir Gaikwad was arrested in connection with the murder, and later granted bail.
- On August 20, 2013, Dabholkar, a prominent anti-superstition crusader, was allegedly gunned down by two bike-borne men during his morning walk in Pune.
- According to a CBI charge sheet filed in September last year, Akolkar and Pawar, two members of the right-wing organisation Sanatan Sanstha, gunned down the rationalist. In June 2014, the case was handed over to the CBI after the Pune police failed to make any headway.
Ranjan, a journalist with Hindi daily Hindustan, was shot from close range by assailants on a motorcycle in May last year. He headed the paper’s bureau in Siwan, Bihar and had written extensively on the case involving Shrikant Bharti – an aide of BJP MP Om Prakash Yadav – who was shot dead in 2014.Sai Reddy
In December 2013, assailants stabbed Sai Reddy (51), a reporter for the Hindi newspaper Deshbandhu, as he left a market in Basaguda village in Bijapur district of Chhattisgarh. He died as he was being transported to the hospital.
He was arrested and charged for his alleged connection with Maoists, but was released on bail in 2008. Police said they suspected Maoists were behind the fatal attack.
A freelance journalist died in June 2015 from burn injuries after a police raid at his residence in Shahjahanpur, Uttar Pradesh. Before his death, Singh alleged cops had barged into his house and set him on fire. He also accused Samajwadi Party leader Rammurti Singh Verma of ‘unleashing’ terror for writing against him. Singh published investigative reports and comments against the minister on social media, an NDTV report said.
However, a month after the incident, Singh’s son gave a clean chit to Verma and said his father had immolated himself.